Wasp Sting Treatment
Wasp stings can be very painful and for some people even potentially life threatening.
There is no anti-venom available for wasp or hornet stings but most stings can be handled using simple first aid techniques. If you develop an allergic reaction to the sting you should seek immediate medical attention as you will require medication to help counter the effects.
How To Treat The Sting
The most important first step is to remove the sting as quickly as possible. You need to be very careful not to break the sting whilst removing it.
Apply an ice pack to the area to help reduce the discomfort and swelling then wash the area with an antiseptic handwash before applying some antiseptic cream. Take an Ibuprofen to help reduce the throbbing pain that accompanies the sting. If the itching persists take an antihistamine and ensure you do not scratch the affected area.
If you develop an allergic reaction you need to consult a doctor. The medication required will depend on the severity of the allergic reaction. Mild to moderate allergic reactions such as rashes and mild breathing problems are treated with antihistamines, steroids, and/or epinephrine injections, and a tetanus booster immunization (if needed). Severe reactions can cause anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock resulting in low blood pressure, respiratory function could get compromised due to bronchospasm, or a circulatory collapse leading to breathing problems. Severe allergic reaction mostly occurs, when the sting enters the blood stream. Treatment in such cases includes injection of antihistamines, steroids, and epinephrine, placement of a breathing tube into the trachea to aid breathing, intravenous fluids, and hospitalisation and close monitoring.